LGBTQ Center

Name, ID, Email Changes and Updates

Students have options to change their name and personal information on campus, either through a legal name change process or by adding their "lived name" to receive a new ID and email address that reflects their preferred name.

Legal Name Change

Students who change their name legally through the courts should bring their documentation to the Registrar's Office to have your name changed on campus. Once your name is changed in the Registrar's Office you can obtain a new Brown Card ID and email address. Please bring your state issued ID and/or paperwork from the Social Security Administration so we can change both your name and your gender marker if that is applicable. At this time we only have the ability to include binary gender markers (male and female) in our system and this limitation is being explored.

Adding the Name You Go By

If you have not changed your name legally, Brown can add the name you go by into our computer systems. On campus we refer to this as your "lived name." If you are a trans/non-binary student you can also change your email address and obtain a Brown Card ID in your lived name. Without a legal name change we are only able to add a new first name into the system.

For the purpose of legal documentation we need to keep your legal name in our system, but when we add your lived name it will show up in important locations so that you will be addressed by the proper name. This system works well, although you may run into occasional situations where you may have to clarify your name if you are speaking with an office that must use your legal name for any purpose (i.e. billing, insurance, health care, employment, etc.). There are some limitations to this system due to regulations that are beyond our control but the system will provide your lived name wherever possible. 

How do I add my lived name and obtain a new ID and email address?

Add your Lived Name

  1. Add your lived name into the Banner system using self-service Banner. You can find additional information here: Add Your Lived Name.
  2. The system needs at least 24 hours during a weekday to update. If added on a Friday, the system will be updated by the following Monday or Tuesday.
  3. Once your lived name is updated in Banner you can obtain a new ID card and new email address.

Update your Brown ID Card

To update your Brown ID Card, simply visit the Brown Card Office during office hours and make a request to get your ID updated with your lived name. You can receive the new ID for free as long as you turn in your old ID. If you have lost your ID you will need to pay the regular replacement fee ($20).

Request a New Email Address

To request a new email address, refer to Add Your Lived Name and scroll down. You will see a link to request a new email address. A reminder that only your first name can be changed for the purposes of obtaining a new email address.

If you have questions, run into any issues, or would like to discuss this process with someone in our office please contact the LGBTQ Center.

You may utilize the self-service systems as outlined in the instructions for current students once you are officially enrolled. Your enrollment will begin between June 1-July 1 for students beginning in the fall. For students admitted mid-year, please contact the LGBTQ Center if you are not able to update your information before the first day of classes.