LGBTQ Center

Sexual Assault, Harassment and Gender-Based Discrimination

For urgent care related to a sexual assault please call the confidential Sexual Assault Response Line at (401) 863-6000.

Confidential resources listed here can provide 100% confidentiality in discussing your experiences and concerns.

  • Sexual Assault Response Line
    (401) 863-6000
    24-hour confidential crisis support and information is available for any Brown student dealing with sexual assault. The on-call counselor is also available for accompaniment to the hospital.
  • Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) Office
    (401) 863-3476
    Mental Health professionals in CAPS office are available 24 hours a day and can provide a comprehensive range of confidential support.
  • SHARE Advocates
    (401) 863-2794
    The SHARE (Sexual Harassment & Assault Resources & Education) Advocates in BWell Health Promotion are confidential resources on campus. Located in Health Services at 13 Brown St., they provide free support to students affected by any form of sexual, gender-based, and relationship violence. You can reach them via phone or make an appointment online.
  • Brown Emergency Medical Services (EMS)
    (401) 863-4111
    Emergency response is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • University Health Services
    (401) 863-3953
    Located at 450 Brook St., UHS provides confidential medical care, testing, and treatment. Emergency contraceptive pills and testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections are available. Emergency care is available 24 hours a day by calling (401) 863-4111. Medical advice is available 24 hours a day by calling (401) 863-1330.  
  • Office of the Chaplains and Religious Life
    (401) 863-2344
    The Chaplains are available by appointment to provide confidential counsel and support, and may be reached by email or phone. To speak with a University Chaplain you may contact the Office by email to or by calling 401-863-2344, or you may seek out another clergy-person that you know in the community.

These resources that maintain your privacy can provide a wide array of support but they also have what are called “responsible employees” who are responsible for reporting a potential Title IX violation to the Title IX office if it is disclosed to them, so these are NOT confidential. The responsible employee, who is a “mandated reporter,” will only disclose what is required of them by law and will not share your personal information with anyone who is not in the "need-to-know" category.  If you have questions about various types of resources available it is suggested that you start with a confidential resource.

  • BWell Health Promotion
    (401) 863-2794
    BWell Health Promotion is an integral part of Brown's Health Services. BWell is committed to providing services and improving systems that support wellbeing, develop healthy behaviors and prevent health concerns that may interfere with academic and personal success.  BWell coordinates several multidisciplinary programs across campus including SHAG (Sexual Health Awareness Group), SAPE (Sexual Assault Peer Education), and Masculinity 101. A wide range of health and resource information is available on their website. BWell Health Promotion is located on the ground level of the Health and Wellness building at 450 Brook Street. 
  • Student Support Services
    (401) 863-3145 (Dean of the Day, business hours)
    (401) 863-4111 (Administrator-on-Call, evenings and weekends)
    The Student Support Services staff is available to assist students with a wide-range of issues and concerns that might arise during their time at Brown. The Student Support Services Deans provide 24-hour crisis services for undergraduate, graduate, and medical students with personal or family emergencies, and are available by appointment to consult with individual students about their personal questions/concerns during the university’s working hours.
  • Sexual Misconduct and Title IX
    (401) 863-2386
    If you believe you experienced gender-based violence or discrimination that could be a violation of Title IX you can get additional information through the Title IX Office.  The Title IX Office can provide comprehensive information about resources available to you and how to file a complaint if desired.  If you are not sure if your situation falls under Title IX you may contact the Title IX Office to clarify where you should file a report. Please note, the Title IX office is not considered a confidential resource.

Please note that a resource’s inclusion on this list is not an endorsement of the resource and its provided services. 

  • Day One
    Business Line: (401) 421-4100
    24 Hour Sexual Assault and Victims of Crime Hotline: (800) 494-8100
    Sexual assault response team, law enforcement advocates; legal advice, counseling, sexual assault nurse examiner with specialized training to collect forensic medical evidence
  • Sojourner House (Instagram @sojournerri)
    Advocacy and Resource Center: (401) 861-6191
    24 Hour Crisis and Hotlines (401) 765-3232
    Confidential emergency shelter
  • Crossroads RI Domestic Violence Program
    Business Line: (401) 521-2255
    24 Hour Help Line: (401) 861-2760
    Sexual assault resources, domestic violence counseling
  • Sisters Overcoming Abusive Relationships
    Business Line: (401) 467-9940
    Statewide task force led by and for survivors of domestic violence
  • Blackstone Valley Advocacy Center
    Business line: (401) 723-3057
    Provides services for victims of domestic violence
  • Elizabeth Buffum Chace Center
    24 Hour Crisis Hotline: (401) 738-1700
    Business Line: (401) 738-9700
    Safe, confidential shelter, assistance at court, counseling, programs for seniors, school programs, community awareness, professional training

Trans Health Resources

The Brown University student health insurance plan available to all students covers counseling, hormone replacement therapy (HRT), and various gender affirmation surgeries. Insurance plans can change over time so for the most up-to-date information about coverage for your specific needs please contact the Brown Health Insurance office directly.  If you already have Brown student insurance you can also contact the health insurance provider directly.  All contact information can be found on the Student Health Insurance website. When confirming coverage for gender affirmation care it is highly recommended to get a confirmation in writing regarding the parameters of what is being covered.

The Brown University staff health insurance plans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of RI and United Healthcare, cover many types of gender affirmation surgery, counseling, and hormones.  Each plan has comparable coverage, but before enrolling it is advised to confirm that your needs will be met under one plan or the other.  You can find information about different plans on the Brown Human Resources Insurance website. You may need to call the plan directly to get the most up-to-date information on what is being covered and if your doctors are in-network or out-of-network.  When confirming coverage for gender affirmation care it is highly recommended to get a confirmation in writing regarding the parameters of what is being covered.

  • University Health Services
    (401) 863-3953
    Located at 450 Brook St., UHS can meet most of your primary care needs and health care providers are available to give referrals to off-campus resources as needed. Please note that Health Service providers do not prescribe hormones but once you receive a prescription it can be filled at the on-campus pharmacy.  
  • BWell Health Promotion
    (401) 863-2794
    Located at the Health and Wellness building at 450 Brook Street, BWell Health Promotion provides services, coordinates multidisciplinary programs, and improves systems that support wellbeing, develop healthy behaviors and prevent health concerns that may interfere with academic and personal success. Check their website for online resources for a variety of health questions, such as their page for information on Gender Affirming Care.  
  • Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) Office
    (401) 863-3476
    CAPS is a resource available to all students who may be seeking support for any issues they may be experiencing. CAPS can provide referrals to off-campus providers as needed.  At this time we are referring out to off-campus providers if a student is seeking a letter for gender confirmation health care services. CAPS works in collaboration with the LGBTQ Center in identifying Trans affirming therapists in the local Providence area.
  • TGI Network of Rhode Island
    (401) 863-3953
    The TGI Network can assist you in finding community resources.  In addition, they have a trans support group named Borderlands that meets regularly.  To find out more about Borderlands email You can also go to the TGI Network section in the Community Resources section below.
  • Thundermist Health Center 
    Thundermist Health Center is a non-profit community health center providing medical care, dental and social services. They focus on providing comprehensive trans health care to students, staff and community members, with branches in Woonsocket, West Warwick, and South County. Please contact them directly to find out more information.
  • Open Door Health
    (401) 648-4700
    Open Door Health is a clinic located in Providence that focuses on providing health services for the LGBTQ+ population.
  • AIDS Care Ocean State
    (401) 521-3603
    AIDS Care Ocean State is dedicated to providing quality housing, case management, medical and nursing care, and prevention to adults, families, adolescents and children who are affected by or at risk for HIV infection. AIDS Care Ocean State not only provides support services but also acts as an advocate for individuals and families at risk. 
  • AIDS Project Rhode Island
    (401) 831-5522
    AIDS Project RI is the first AIDS service organization in Rhode Island. Their mission is to provide a compassionate, nonjudgmental, and collaborative response to the needs of people living with, affected by, and at risk for HIV. APRI provides support services, HIV/STI testing, PrEP and PEP access, and health education among other programs.
  • Fenway Institute
    (617) 267-0900
    Located more distantly in Boston, the Fenway Institute’s key commitment is to address the specific health needs of sexual and gender minorities (SGM) and those affected by HIV.